Monday, 6 September 2010

Day 2: Water-slides and dronkies



A bright crisp J-burg day (same all winter, I’m told) when I’m met by the lovely Claire, and driven 70km NW of the city, past gated compounds, townships, platinum mines and their communities, savannah scenery and gently rolling hills.  



We arrive at Sun City, a huge casino/holiday complex (established in what was previously foreign country - Bophuthatswana, when gambling was illegal in South Africa).   Based on the legend of a Lost City, there are massive towers and sculpted animals, on a bridge which quakes as smoke comes out of the animals’ nostrils (the earthquake which causes this civilisation to be wiped out).  



We survive and make it to the water park, where the others are already sunning themselves, (although the water is pretty cold!).
Introductions all round, and I feel slightly culture shocked to be catapulted from sweltering Paris to a sunny but breezy fake beach in the middle of the desert.  Pizza helps, and I am soon relaxed, watching the kids squeal as the wave machine throws them around.


After our lunch settles the waterslides beckon… my first SA initiation, I’m informed.  A double inflatable tube into a pitch black waterslide!  Then there’s “The Temple of Courage” – a 17m drop, quickly re-named “The Wedgie”.



Quite refreshed and exhausted, we change and wander in search of a suitable place to have a Skemeikelkie – a sun-downer, and choose a view over the golf course to the mountains beyond.


There are monkeys in the trees!
We eat at Squires, then make the long drive back to J-burg, avoiding the wild donkeys on the road…

No comments:

Post a Comment